Firefly dual processor card

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed May 31 07:41:54 CDT 2017

> On May 30, 2017, at 4:13 PM, Antonio Carlini via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 30/05/17 20:16, Mark Kahrs via cctech wrote:
>> The actual Firefly board.  Like this one:
>>
>> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/parts/dec-firefly/
>>

>> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Eric Smith <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Did you get an actual Firefly (research) board, or a prduction VAXstation
>>> 3520/3540 board? I don't think you're likely to find schematics or pinouts
>>> for either, but it's not impossible to find 3520/3540 stuff, while I've
>>> never before heard of anyone encountering any actual Firefly boards in the
>>> wild.
>>>

> If it has the same three connector blocks that are present at the bottom of this photo:
>
> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/parts/dec-firefly/Image42.jpg
>
> then I would guess that it is not a VAXstation 3520 (KA60 CPU).
>
> Are there any obvious part numbers?
>
> Antonio
> arcarlini at iee.org

To clarify: Firefly is an internal-only device built by DEC research in Palo Alto.  It wasn't a product and as far as I remember wasn't the basis of one, either.  There are some DEC SRC reports that describe aspects of the Firefly.  I think Modula-3 was invented for it, but I may have my research platforms mixed up.

	paul