KDF 8189 processor board foobared (ebay warning)

allison allisonportable at gmail.com
Sat May 20 09:01:38 CDT 2017

On 05/20/2017 04:59 AM, jim stephens via cctalk wrote:
> I just ran across a sale on epay by a guy who thought you could pull
> the processor chip off the board and sell each in separate auctions.
>
> I couldn't find the processor from the huge number of gold scrap chip
> auctions he had, but he said it (or the other) chip(s) for the board
> were listed.
>
> I think giving him the benefit of the doubt, he thought that the two
> were separable like motherboards and processors are now day.  Worst
> case he was just an unfortunate idiot that destroyed the board.
>
> I sent him an email telling him the value I place on it (tested) and
> suggested that he think of older boards as the full components to be
> kept together unless he wants to destroy the board, or knows what he
> is doing breaking them up.  Of course on old Qbus and the like boards,
> one does have some components that are more valuable if you break up
> the board, and pull "unobtainium" chips.  But pulling out the KDF
> processor isn't one of them in general.
>
> I just bought a KDJ Jaws chip for a "round 2it" project to try to get
> it running, as I archived a PDP11 "Hack" page indicating how to get
> one running on a proto board with minimal hardware.
>
> I don't know if you could do that with the KDF, but that isn't what
> this guy is doing.

Argh,  CPU chips used on dec board loose value as the complete board
carries the value.

KDF with the second chip is useful but the logic needed to may a "CPU"
of the raw chips is
not trivial.

Best chip for hacking and useful off a board (Falcon, KXT11, RQDX,
others) is the T11.  Its easily
useful like a 8085 or Z80.

Allison