BBS software for the PDP 11

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 14:54:57 CDT 2017

From: cctalk [cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] on behalf of jim stephens via cctalk [cctalk at classiccmp.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:53 PM
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: Re: BBS software for the PDP 11

On 5/18/2017 9:51 AM, Adrian Stoness via cctalk wrote:
> So a 11/03 aka a lsi11 would be to slow for such things? Such as those
> Heathkit h11 lsi11 macheans? Witch was a hobyist pdp11 for those that are
> unfamiliar with the hearhkits

My take and extension on Chuck's and Allison's question is that you can
take a USB R232 dongle, and a 56k modem (if your pots line still
supports it, 33k if not (hopefully), and run a BBS on a Raspberry Pi if
nothing else for nothing in power and infrastructure cost.

An 11 is novel, but hard to see why running it on simh wouldn't be a
better deal if you want something on the pdp11 architecture.

Keeping any PDP11 up 24 / 7 so it is a useful BBS isn't an undertaking
for the faint hearted, nor is it something easy on the pocketbook in the
way of power.  (not to mention space possibly).

Unless you are a couple of well known museums and others very few do the
real hardware.

I still do.  I have an 11/93 in a pedestal standing right next to me now.

As for power, if you  have a wife and/or kids, a PDP-11's power consumption
is not even above the noise floor in your electric bill. (Unless your trying to do
it with RA disks!!)

bill