Hershey Fonts now 50 years old

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu May 11 10:50:26 CDT 2017

On 05/11/2017 07:45 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

> Computer drawn characters are older than that; a good example of
> vector drawn characters is the CDC 6600 console, from around 1964.
> Or the plotter library documented in report MR 73 from the
> Mathematical Center in Amsterdam, April 1965.  Both are simpler
> letter shapes than in Hershey's document.

CDC, for a time, standardized on a variation of OCR-A for their
"official" correspondence typefont.  I used an Olivetti typewriter in my
office at CDC for just that--I hated the look of the stuff.

Eventually, the division equipped the secretaries with Selectrics and I
grabbed an IBM Executive (that with the prop spacing) with a "normal"
font for my own use.

I had the best-looking memos in the department.

--Chuck