IBM 4331 Mainframe

dave.g4ugm at gmail.com dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Mon May 1 13:16:45 CDT 2017

No, these were very much Air Cooled. IBM's advertising implied they could be
run in a normal office environment, e.g. as here:-

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_2423PH4331.h
tml

but in practice that layout would not work, clearance was required round all
sides as can be seen from the Physical Planning Manual which is available
here

http://chiclassiccomp.org/docs/content/computing/IBM/Mainframe/Hardware/Syst
em/GA24-3667-1_IBM4300InstallationManual-PhysicalPlanning_Sept79.pdf

One issue with these machines was that whilst they were (and still are I
guess) S/370 compatible, in some ways they were perhaps at the time not
considered "Mainframes" by the owners of real S/370 machines.

This was because System/370 I/O is normally managed by a "Channel Program"
which is executed by a "channel processor" and on the bigger boxes this was
a separate "CPU"

But on the 4331, 41 and 61 (but not 81) the main CPU was also used to
execute the channel programs, so whilst the CPU was 3x faster than a
370/115, under heavy i/I it would slow down as it was diverted to running
the channel programs.

There is a whole chapter on this in:-

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/43xx/4331/GA33-1527-0_IBM_4331_Pr
ocessor_Channel_Characteristics_Apr79.pdf

starting at page 12. You may also read this note:-

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=4331BNCH
<http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=4331BNCH&ft=MEMO&args=4331+channel+
cpu#hit> &ft=MEMO&args=4331+channel+cpu#hit

and this

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=308X:PCM
<http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=308X:PCM&ft=MEMO&args=4331+channel+
cpu#47> &ft=MEMO&args=4331+channel+cpu#47

about the problems that were had with this CPU.

Dave Wade