Any faithful VT100 Emulators?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 08:01:40 CDT 2017

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 7:11 AM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I've used Putty to connect to a VMS system to run TPU (which I think LSE is
> a thinly disguised variant of) and I have regularly come across an irritating
> bug which messes up full screen editing when the on-screen cursor seems to get
> out of step with the text that is actually getting changed, or something like
> that anyway.  Scrolling down the file and scrolling back up to the point where
> changes were made reveals that the changes actually made were not what it
> looked like was changed on the screen.

I don't remember how VMS describes terminal types, but here's one possible issue.  VT100 is fairly different from VT101/102, and if the emulator is emulating a VT100 while the application has been told it has a VT102, things are likely to be problematic.  I vaguely remember that VT100 lacks the insert operations, and if the program tries to use those when they aren't there, that would certainly cause the sort of problems you mentioned.

	paul