Pair of Twiggys

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Mar 14 16:07:05 CDT 2017

    > From: geneb

    > I'm going to assume you're being sarcastic. :)

With a steam-shovel... :-)

    >> that whole display/windows/menu/mouse thing he copied from Xerox

    > Fixed that for ya. :)

Well, technically, as you probably know, the mouse came from Engelbart (well,
his group; I'm not sure who the individual was); and the display, I'm
honestly not sure of.

I know the Knight TV system at the AI Lab was a very early bit-mapped
display, but I don't know where the idea first appeared. (There were of
course influential earlier display systems, such as the one on SAGE, althoug
those were of course all stroke-based systems, given the limited memory of
the period.)

Windows and menus are AFAIK from PARC, but maybe there are antecedents I
don't know of.

    > Bah, he was an ego-driven trinket salesman. His trinkets quit being any
    > good after the IIgs. :)

Now I'm not sure how serious _you_ are being! :-)

As to the first, there is some truth to it, but like many (all) humans,
he was complex...

	Noel