Full immersion emulation

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Mar 4 15:27:03 CST 2017

> On Mar 4, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/04/2017 03:13 PM, Mark J. Blair via cctalk wrote:
>> For some reason, I fondly remember the scream of a DEC TU77 drive, and would like to have one in my collection. Clearly, I must be somewhat touched in the head. :)
> Scream?  Or buzz?  We had a TU77, and when we ran backups, it made a loud buzzing as it was doing start/stop about as fast as it could go.  Or, are you referring to the whine as it went into rewind?

I mostly remember the shop-vacuum-like whine of the vacuum pump, and the fluttery thwack of the tape loops forming on load-up. The other tape motion sounds didn't stick in my memory so much. I do remember the buzzy grind of the capstan motors on the C240's tape drive; I don't recall whether that drive's OEM was Fujitsu or Hitachi, but I found it quite enjoying to watch as an engineering student.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/