Full immersion emulation

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Mar 1 13:39:16 CST 2017

On 03/01/2017 11:14 AM, Charles Anthony via cctalk wrote:
> Part of the iconic mainframe experience is the cold room sounds; for early
> Multics installations (and other systems) the sound of the Selectric
> operator's console.

There is no way that I'd wish anyone would have to put up with the 80+
dB "white noise" of fans and vacuum pumps (tape drives), not to mention
the scream of a train printer working or a high speed card punch or the
clatter of a high-speed card reader.

After a few hours, your nerves  would be badly frayed.  My department
resorted to distributing those yellow sponge rubber earplugs.

There are certain experiences that I would not rather relive for the
sake of nostalgia.  Computer room noise would be right up there with
kidney stones and root canals.   Nor would I, for the sake of nostalgia,
want to relive a day of setting logging chokers on a steep hillside.

--Chuck