RL02 to image file

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Jun 2 03:16:37 CDT 2017

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> On 6/1/2017 12:12 PM, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Jay Jaeger via cctalk
>> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>> I can.  I use a DR11 parallel port on an 11/24 to transfer the files.
>>
>> Interesting.  I'd like to see how you tackled that (I can imagine
>> wanting a couple of layers of integrity-checking, for one).
>>

> It uses a simple 8 but parallel bus-like fully interlocked protocol,
> byte by byte.  The send side raises a data available bit, the receiver
> grabs it, then raises an acknowledge.  The sender then drops the
> available, and then waits until the receiver drops the acknowledge.
[...]

I have a similar setup, a DR11 in a 11/34. It is more or less directly
connected to a bidirectional parallel port on a PC that runs a small
server written with eRTOS (DOS based), for the PDP side I have written a
full RT11 driver, so I can do things like COPY/DEV/FILE and even boot from
an image over the DR11. The transfer rate is about 75 kb/s.

Christian