IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 25 17:00:34 CST 2017

On 01/25/2017 02:07 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> The 7070 was announced in Sept. 1958, but did not ship until April
> 1960.

According to IBM's DPD Chronology  for 1959:

"On August 3, DPD introduces the IBM Datacenter -- facilities in which
customers rent the use of IBM 7070 systems by the hour and supply their
own programmers and operators. DPD foresees a nationwide network of 25
to 30 Datacenters in major cities, with the first three located in New
York City, Chicago and Los Angeles. "

> The first IBM computing device to use transistors and no vacuum tubes
> was the 608 calculator, shipped in December 1957.  IBM's first
> transistorized computers were the 7090 (36-bit scientific,
> transistorized version of 709) shipped in November 1959, and the
> 1401, shipped in early 1960, before the 7070.

As a matter of fact, here's a 7070 on its way to an installation in
Naples in 1959:

https://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/vintage/vintage_4506VV2070.html

And I *did* specify computer, not calculator with regard to transistors.

So who you gonna believe--a photo taken in 1959 or some guy writing 27
years later saying it didn't exist?  Perhaps they've got the 7070
confused with the 7074.

--Chuck