PDP-11: BC11-A cable dress between cabinets

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Wed Jan 25 01:18:54 CST 2017

Hey folks,

I've gotten to the part of a PDP-11/45 restore I’ve been working on where I need to run a Unibus cable between the CPU box in one rack and an RK11-C controller at the top of the next rack over. I'm a bit puzzled about how best to run the bus cable to keep it out of harm's way, e.g. getting it accidentally pinched or crimped while sliding the CPU cabinet in and out for service.

I can see there's a nice cable exit at the back of the sliding CPU cabinet, but from there...??  Anybody have a picture or remember how this was usually done around the slide rails etc. to avoid trouble?

The RK05 manuals do have recommended dress for drive cables between drives and the controller, but I haven't seen any recommendations for the cabling Unibus between cabinets anywhere yet.

cheers,
--FritzM.