IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 25 00:19:09 CST 2017

On 01/24/2017 10:01 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> And, the 7074 was a serious computer, given the vintage.  Either 4 or
> 6 us core cycle time was QUITE good in 1961 or so.  10 us
> instruction execution time was pretty decent.

I find the whole period amazing.   Consider that the 709 was introduced
in mid 1958.  It's only 6 years to the S/360.  It seems that when
transistor manufacture matured enough, the floodgates really opened.
After 1958, nobody but developing or Warsaw pact countries even
considered vacuum tube computing.

--Chuck