Need serial cabe for pdp 11/34 M7856

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 12:24:58 CST 2017

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Devin <lyokoboy0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The cable that came with my 11/34 is for current loop, i need a cable that
> is wired for serial. If no one has the cable, i could make one myself, i
> just need the 40 pin connector that goes on the cable. I have been unable to
> find the connector. Oddly ebay appears to have the side of the connector
> that goes on the M7856 board itself, but i need the other end, that goes on
> the wire.

The normal IDC ribbon cable socket, as was used on IDE disk drive cables
(40 pin) will fit. In an emergency, you can take a length of 3 wire ribbon
cable, separate the wires and press them onto the right pins of such a
socket, and use a spare piece of the same wire for the jumper (1489
output to UART input), agan pressed onto the right pins, Then press the
whole lot together in a vice. Did that for a DEC serial cable over 25
years ago

If you want to do it 'properly' then I think this is the right
connector housing :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-housings/7781037/

Yes, 44 pin, there are 2 unused pins at each end. But 40 pin
ones are made too. And you would need contact pins, which
are linked from that page.

That's a UK supplier, I have no idea where you are, but you
might be able to track it down from the info on that page.

-tony