Stripping an RA80

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:52:57 CST 2017

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM, allison <ajp166 at verizon.net> wrote:

> Depending on vintage of those HDAs they may have been in the large pool
> of SNs that had bad (incorrect) adhesive
> used to assemble the platters and would after about 1.5-2.2 years of
> spinning would have the glue migrate out

Is it therefore likely that if an HDA has lasted this long it is likely to have
been made with the 'good' adhesive?

> All my VAXen and PDP-11s use RX, RL, RD, and RZ media due to
> reliability.  The only ones worse was RA60 then RC25.

I have an RA60 (but no media for it). What was the problem with that
one? At least you can replace heads in the field (although getting new
heads is going to be 'fun').

Problem for me is that I have the compact 11/730 system. The CPU box
is pretty much full -- CPU, IDC (I don't have the floating point board, but
it's a dedicated slot anyway so I can't put something else there), 4M
RAM, TSU05 controller. I don't have space for another disk controller
(certainly not a UDA50). I really want to keep the machine in the short
rack too.

Which means using an R80 or something that emulates one. I wonder
how hard it would be to interface some other storage device to the IDC.

-tony