Spinning up RL02 w/o head load ? (was Cleaning RK05 packs)

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Sat Jan 7 12:01:21 CST 2017

On 07/01/2017 16:44, Jerry Weiss wrote:

> What is the best way to approach evaluating old RL02 Packs for
> cleaning?  Does anyone have experience opening up all the little
> plastic tabs on the covers? I have a large stash of RL02’s that I had
> planned to backup.   I was planning on just doing a visual inspection
> on each before loading.

That part is easy.  Turn it upside down, and for each of the tabs,
insert a small (1/4") flat-blade screwdriver into the rectangular hole
by each tab, turn it so that the side moves away from the bottom cover
sufficiently, then slip a smaller screwdriver into the gap between the
side and the bottom cover, and lever it up slightly.  Repeat until you
have all the tabs undone and the bottom cover lifts off.

That lets you at the lower surface.  I can't remember how to take the
platter out; IIRC it involves dong something to the cover on the handle.
I just use a torch to look at it, through the side.

I wouldn't worry about a little fine dust.  It's not an RK05 and they're
very robust.  I once had one make a wierd noise when spun up - the
"ting" did sound a little like an RK05 head crash.  It turned out a
spider had decided it was a good warm dry place to live, but all I had
to do was clean the rest of the spider off the head.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull