Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

allison ajp166 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 5 12:07:28 CST 2017

On 1/5/17 12:30 PM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 1/5/17 9:22 AM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:
>
>> As Allison taught me, the oxide surface on platters / drums is just a form of inactive RUST.. and therefore, unaffected
>> by water (no, the water doesn't cause it to start rusting further).
>>
> The interface between the aluminum platter and the steel sector ring
> would be a really bad thing to get water into.
Simple Green is a earth safe (Eco) detergent with a PH of 8.5 to 9.5.
Safe for many things
as a mild great and organic residue remover.  Used that or Woolite for
washing aluminum
aircraft for decades.

Water is not the hazard, allowing it to remain without drying is as it
promotes corrosion.
Pure water (non-ionic) is mostly inactive.

FYI: Decades ago I used to do radio repair for the maritime set and a
salt dunked radio
that was still dripping from its dunking in salt water was immediately
without prejudice
immersed in clean water.  It was then again immersed in new fresh clean
water.  The goal
was to remove the salt and then DRY (in a 160 degree Fahrenheit oven)
the unit before
active corrosion could take over.  It was usually successful if the unit
hadn't remained
submerged for more than a few hours  or allowed to sit around for more
than a few
hours as if it it electrolytic corrosion from dissimilar metals would
take over and kill it.
It was also effective on intermittent marine gear that had gotten flaky
from salt tracking
on the board over time.

Allison