PDF PDF Which is right and which is ... Was Re: PDP-11/24 CPU later version

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Sun Feb 19 17:24:04 CST 2017

On 2017-02-19 3:44 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Toby Thain
>
>     > Often the source material is a multipage TIFF from the scanner or other
>     > processing step.
>
> Multiple single-page TIFFs, in my case.

Tiffcp and tiffsplit go between these, so I don't bother making a
distinction... I find multipage TIFFs just as useful as PDF (since I
don't care about OCR personally).

>     > So relevant tools are things like tiff2pdf (tiffutils)
>
> But also JPEG's, for pages where the B+W scanning I use (with fax compression
> to keep the file size down) results in pages that aren't readable - this
> happens on faded pages.

If the pages are text, you can start with a grey scale scan and use a
per page B&W threshold post-scanning, of course. I wouldn't ship grey
scale just for some faded text pages.

A more common example of needing interspersed formats would be colour
covers, or photographs in a mostly-text document. Or some schematics
that need a higher resolution than the text (which rarely needs > 400).

 > Does tiff2pdf handle a bunch of single-page
> TIFF's, with a JPEG or two throw in?

Well, multipage TIFF certainly can (using tiffcp to assemble). I *think*
tiff2pdf can transcode mixed documents reasonably to PDF (and maybe
tumble can), but better test to be sure.

--T