New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Tue Feb 14 10:09:55 CST 2017

> This is a peripheral.  USB OTG doesn't apply, and USB-A would be
> "inappropriate".  Pretend this is an inkjet printer.  What plug would
> you expect to find on that?
Haha :-)
It is not an inkject printer! But I actually have written a (very
limited) HPGL interpreter which controls a Calcomp 565/563 plotter. So
it's -- actually! -- more a plotter.
And even a plotter would have an USB B something. Oh, wait...! If it was
a Zuse Z64 Graphomat which worked offline reading papertape, the plotter
would probably need an USB host interface (A receptable) where I can put
my stick with the HPGL data ;-) ;-)

> I don't _mind_ Mini (I have a number of devices and cables that are
> mini) and it _is_ more robust than Micro (I have seen plenty of phones
> and tablets with broken micro plugs).
Ok, micro is out of discussion. It won't be applied.

> I have a suggestion... put 4 vias on 0.1" spacing next to the micro
> connector so we could, for example, add a chassis-friendly exit cable
> of our own purchase/manufacture if we choose, to have a nice fat USB-B
> on the outside of the case.
> https://newnex.com/images/UHR1-B-0005Blarge.jpg

Ha, that's a nice idea.
I'll plan in a white 90° pinhead connector - only the footprint, of course.

Philipp