RL02 version of UNIX6?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:20:28 CST 2017

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: William Degnan
>
>     > my focus has been on just getting an 11/40 hardware working
>
> Rightly and properly so...
>
>     > I suppose I should be happy with RT-11 given my circumstances.
>
> Unix really is a significant improvement, we really need to make sure you
> can
> run it. Don't worry about the OS image issue, I can crank them out like
> sausages, and we already have all the bits we need (V6 RL driver,
> bootstrap,
> etc).
>

>     > It's not possible with the 3 over the back cables to put the 7238 on
>     > riser card to probe signals as easily.
>
> Really? DEC specified BC08R-01 cables, which _should_ be long enough to
> allow
> it to be put on an extender. Does your machine have the -01's, or have they
> been replaced with little shorty ones?
>
> If the latter, if you can't find any -01's, it should be possible to locate
> some generic 40-pin cables, which should work (old IDE cables should work,
> but not the new ones, which have a key that will prevent the connectors
> from
> going in, in this application).
>
> Also, it should not to be too hard to whip up some: the connectors and the
> flat cable are pretty easy to find - although not the ground-plane backed
> kind - do anyone know of a source for that? Anyway, the regular kind of
> flat
> cable ought to work well enough for debugging.
>
>         Noel

Very well!  I will find some cables.  I have XXDP+ on disk, I can make
other versions if need be.  Also, I can "replace the caps" if need be, but
I'd like to find a routine or XXDP for this so I can see if there is a
specific error to address instead, assuming I can boot up XXDP+ with the
M7238 installed..  I read the manual.  I looked for quite a while and could
not find the XXDP+ that tests the 11/40 EIS.  I searched by part number.
Perhaps these tests are bundled with others and I am missing it.  I am
familiar with the database of tests online that has many but no KE11-E
M7238 EIS Diagnostics...Sorry to have to ask, I checked what places I know
of, WWW search etc.   Can anyone suggest the name of the test so I can run
it?

Again, thanks for your help and encouragement.

Bill