Logic Analysers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Feb 2 00:50:41 CST 2017

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Adrian Graham
> <witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Whilst looking for better quality units I came across a couple of
>> 'proper' HP/Agilent analysers, a 1663A 34 channel and 1661A 102
>> channel which seem complete apart from the chip leg grabbers. Am I
>> right to assume some of you might have experience of these beasts?
>>

> An HP 1660 or 1670 series self-contained portable logic analyzer
> might be nice to pick up if you can get a decent deal on one. The
> main limitation of the 1660 series is that the sample depth is only
> 4K samples per channel. The 1670 series offers deeper sample depths,
> and they may sell at a higher price as a result. And of course a
> sub-model with more channels is better than one with fewer channels.

The problem with used logic analyzers is that the prices can vary
widely.  My 1663 was purchased from eBay for $47 shipped, was clearly
from a rental service, as it was complete; nothing missing.

I use an LA less than a 'scope, so the price is right for me.  Mostly,
I'm interested in looking at peripheral device timing, so it's perfect
for the occasional head-scratcher.

I remember when we got in the then-new HP 1615 logic analyzer--I was
blown away by it.  We were using a Tek lab scope plug-in which was
pretty limited.  The idea of a piece of test equipment with a keyboard
and its own display was pure genius.  Biomation, IIRC, was also big in
the business, but not nearly as polished as the HP units.

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in a region with an
Electro Rent depot, you might inquire to see if they turn their old gear
over to an auctioneer.

--Chuck