RL02 version of UNIX6?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 1 16:55:23 CST 2017

    > From: William Degnan

    > I do not have an EIS installed. I have one however, I can try it. I am
    > unsure if it's good or not, but I guess I am going to find out.

Oh yeah, without that, you're totally hosed, Unix-wise. The V6 C compiler
puts out MUL etc all over the place (e.g. for structure pointer math), so
there's absolutely no way to run vanilla V6 Unix without it.

(The GCC compiler claims to be able to compile C to machines without the
EIS; it might be an interesting hack to see if that could be used to get
V6 running on a machine without the EIS. The machine language startups
would still need work, though. And the bootstrap. :-)

    > Josh Dersch

    > As I mentioned above

Right, but if his bootstrap isn't working, gotta debug that first.. :-)

    > you'll also need to recompile the kernel

Actually, I don't think you need to re-compile anything, just link in m40.o
instead of m45.o; I think all the C code checks for 'cputyp == 40' or
whatever, as the case may be.

	Noel