RL02 version of UNIX6?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:00:57 CST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:15 AM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Angelo Papenhoff <aap at papnet.eu> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/17, william degnan wrote:
>> > I thought this question was answered recently but I can't find the
>> answer.
>> > I have the RK disk version of UNIX6 for PDP 11/40 but I could not find
>> an
>> > RL02 version.  does this exist?  Can one be made using simH to dump and
>> set
>> > up for RL02 that can then be ported as a RL02 disk image to actual RL02
>> > drive?  I can get an image onto the drive, should the image exist.  My
>> PDP
>> > 11/40 is not compatible with Unix 7, but I would be happy with 5 or 7 if
>> > it'll run on a 64K system.
>> > Thanks
>> > Bill
>>
>> http://www.tom-yam.or.jp/2238/rl/
>

> thanks.  One other question...for those who use PDPGUI to write an image
> to an actual RL02 disk, how long does it take approx to write, say, an
> RT-11 5.3 disk using this method?
> Bill

Answer to my own question - about an hour for a small disk, as much as 3
hours for a large disk full of data.  Once the image gets to what I assume
is "blank" space, it goes a lot faster.  You can see this by watching the
READY light and the monitor panel.  In the case of RT-11 5.0 it took over
an hour.  I assume the UNIX disk will take two or three hours.

Bill