Restoring a VT50 (VT52 actually) .

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Tue Dec 26 17:52:12 CST 2017

On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:22 PM, Mattis Lind <mattislind at gmail.com> wrote:

> Before putting everything together I also dumped the chargen ROM board…

Ah, yes — I did this with my own VT52 last xmas break!  I breadboarded a little scanner for that task because my chargen ROM was not socketed, and I didn’t want to risk damaging it by unsoldering it from the board:

http://fritzm.github.io/vt52.html <http://fritzm.github.io/vt52.html>
https://github.com/fritzm/vt52 <https://github.com/fritzm/vt52>

It’s a pretty cool and funky little font, and since I spent a lot of time in front of VT52s back in the day it makes me nostalgic.  I hope someday somebody with decent font-smithing skills will use the data to make a usable console font; my experiments with font creation tools were not a great success and I came to the conclusion that there is a lot I don’t know about fonts which is necessary in order to make them render and scale well and be generally usable on modern operating systems...

	cheers,
	  —FritzM.