OT: Argh--my old faithful HP16C is failing!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 6 17:27:43 CST 2017

On 12/06/2017 02:51 PM, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:
> Ok I am guessing you have figured out how to take the back off? (screws
> under the rubber feet) with the calculator upside down and the display
> away from you there is a connector at the top right that connects the
> keyboard to the electronics on the back of the display carefully  lift
> that  flexible cable over the posts.  With the back off the display
> module is big held in by four foam blocks that fit over the plastic
> posts, gently lift the display module up and they will come with it.
> The part you are going to change is just the glass of the display it is
> held in place by a metal frame that has tabs folded over.  You can try
> to save the thin plastic anti static wrap but it is held on with the
> glue from hell so you will probably end up cutting some of it away.  The
> glass part of the display is connected to the circuit board under it by
> elastomer block, keep them clean any debris on them will probably result
> in a segment that does not work.  Swap the refold the tabs on the metal
> frame and reassemble.  You will note that on inside of the back of the
> display there are hollow posts that fit over post at the keyboard
> connector and display to test it before putting it all back together,
> put batteries in, and hold the keyboard connector in place with your
> finger.

Okay, as a test, I swapped the display board from the 15C to my 16C, so
I have a working 15C with mislabeled keys. :)

The black plastic over the display/brains board is indeed held on with
the glue from hell.  I've slit it with an Xacto knife and gently scraped
as much of it off as I could with a small ABS scraper.   At least now, I
can see the LCD frame tabs.  I'm going to take a small flat-bladed
screwdriver and bend them away to release the LCD.

Stay tuned...

--Chuck