Preventing VAX running VMS / Multinet from being used as SMTP relay

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 19:39:14 CST 2017

> > The Multinet SMTP server is pretty basic and people who are serious
about
> > doing SMTP on VMS typically disable it and install a proper mailserver
like
> > PMDF.  That's my excuse for not knowing how to disable SMTP relaying in
> > Multinet.  That and because it probably varies for different versions of
> > Multinet and you haven't said what version of Multinet you have.  I
used to
> > be one of the people supporting Multinet in this part of the world and I
> > seem to have inherited a stack of Multinet documentation for different
old
> > versions so if I knew what version, I could probably look it up.  I
think
> > the
> > documentation for the most recent couple of Multinet versions is on the
> > Multinet website:
> >
> > http://www.process.com/psc/service-support/multinet-support/
> >
> > Try the Adminstrator's guide or Adminstrator's reference.
> >
> > I do however know how to disable the SMTP server in Multinet completely:
> >
> > $ MULTINET CONFIGURE /SERVERS
> > SERVER-CONFIG> DISABLE SMTP
> > SERVER-CONFIG> RESTART
> > Configuration modified, do you want to save it first ? [YES]
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter Coghlan

Peter,
Thanks I think this is what I need, just disable smtp within MULTINET.  As
I said in my OP I prefer a VMS or MULTINET solution free of modern hardware
if possible, now that I know what is possible.    I was curious to learn
what others did back in the day.

I have a script I run to clear the queue, but that's a pain and it lets
some relaying through.

Bill