Reviving VT220?

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Sat Apr 29 08:34:42 CDT 2017

The heater and control pins appear to be giving sensible voltages. The
logic of the board is fine, I can type on the terminals keyboard and I
get the correct characters on the other end of the serial cable. The PSU
is putting out 31v which seems fine?

I'm used to discharging the tube before fixing things inside CRTs
(usually I only attempt to fix simple things like a broken toggle
switch), but I have not managed to get a spark off this monitor. The
tube doesn't seem to get charged up at all. I've measured the
capacitance of nearly all caps and they seem fine, diodes seem to be
working fine. Does this mean it is most likely the flyback transformer?
Are there any other bits I should be wary of and test properly?

Thanks again for your help. Your voltage listing and advice in general
has been very useful.

Aaron.