Looking for TRS-80 Model parts (and/or someone in the Phoenix, AZ area)

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Mon Apr 24 06:37:57 CDT 2017

> In a message dated 4/23/2017 8:14:33 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:
>
> Just  picked up a TRS-80 Model 12, and it boot to the "insert disk
> prompt" ...  Yay!
>
> But, no card cage, and no KB (and no disks, but those might be  easier to
> find)
>
> I'd like to get this unit up to the Model 16 specs,  with Xenix on it.  I
> see the cards are available, but without the  cage, no joy.
>

> Jim

Jim, I’m glad to see you picked up those Model 12s.  I was watching Stevie’s CocoFest livestream and could not believe Model 12s showed up at the auction!  I was thinking what a good deal you got!  Wish I was there.

I have a Model II/16 disk service I offer for free if you’re interested.

http://pski.net/trs-80-model-ii-archive-project/ <http://pski.net/trs-80-model-ii-archive-project/>

You can find the MC68000 board set (you’ll need a CPU board and at least one memory board) on eBay quite often.  In most cases, it will be the Model 16 6Mhz board which will allow you to run TRS-XENIX 1.x.  If you’re lucky, you’ll find the Model 6000 8Mhz board which will allow you to run Xenix 3.2.  Finding a card cage is the hard part.  These are extremely rare but do pop up from time to time.  There is another option called the Hans-02 and 03 adapters created by Hans Rietveld which is a modern replacement for the card cage.  You can find them on Ian Mavric’s site.

http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/Hans/ <http://ianmav.customer.netspace.net.au/Hans/>

I’m happy to hear you’re thinking about bringing a working example of one of these to Tandy Assembly.  The 8” Tandy’s are an important part of computing history that sometimes don’t get the respect they deserve.  For those of you that may not have heard about it, TA is happening in October 2017.

http://www.tandyassembly.com/ <http://www.tandyassembly.com/>