Remex Tape Reader - Pre-power up advice?

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 16 19:23:03 CDT 2017

There are what appear to be 1976 date codes on some caps.

If its that old then replace all and any electrolytic capacitors plus
any paper based caps.

If they aint bad now they soon will be.

Rod Smallwood

On 16/04/2017 22:45, Anders Nelson via cctalk wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, I think I'll replace the caps first as I don't own a
> variac. I'd rather not damage anything in case the foil in those caps have
> shorted upon application of full power.
>
> =]
>
> --
> Anders Nelson
>
> +1 (517) 775-6129
>
> www.erogear.com
>
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I would first be more concerned with the ones I've circled
>>
>> https://goo.gl/photos/jweLs4meE2to3mom8
>>
>> Guessing this guy was built > 30-40 years ago. If it was mine I would
>> replace all the smaller ones.
>>
>> Get it over and done with.
>>
>> The ones that have screws, you can take the chance of putting a scope
>> across them (watch out if they are floating !!) and look at the ripple, I
>> any over say 2%, they are more than likely bad, but you can see if the
>> reform or not. More then a couple % and you can damage things.
>>
>> Other things I do
>>
>> Check the voltages quickly
>>
>> Check the thermal grease on all the heat sinks.
>>
>> -pete
>>
>> PS keep your eyes open from replacement lamps.
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Anders Nelson via cctalk <
>> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I recently impulse-bought a paper tape reader from eBay, a Remex
>>> RRS6500BE1/660/DRB/U901
>>>
>>> Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/292050475397
>>>
>>> Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/Wa3W7mtTwwuTczUV7
>>>
>>> It has several enormous capacitors in it and I want to do my due diligence
>>> before powering it up. Does anyone have advice in this regard? I'm
>>> competent in soldering and rework of all sorts but definitely more in
>>> digital than analog.
>>>
>>> Also the spindles squeak very slightly - are they oilable?
>>>
>>> In general it looks to be in pristine condition; no dust and no
>>> magic-smoke
>>> smell. The only repair item I can find is a sticking tape roller and

--
There is no wrong or right
Nor black and white.