DEC PDP-14 Programmable Controller simulator

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 03:05:49 CDT 2017

On 4 April 2017 at 20:21, Charles Dickman via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I have written a PDP-14 simulator using the simh framework. Paired
> with a PDP-8 simulator as a front end it passes all the DEC
> diagnostics. A pointless effort, perhaps, because there isn't much
> that can be done with it without connecting it to something to
> control.

Please release it! I/O access isn't too exceedingly complicated. I
just finished up a university class on industrial controllers and
networking, and we covered Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP. The latter
protocol would prove to be pretty useful for this PDP-14 emulator. The
emulator would act as one Modbus master and send out packets (in the
Modbus TCP format) to a remote/distributed I/O unit of the user's own
provision. Making it generic means it doesn't require specific
hardware; making it Modbus protocol means it talks to a gigantic swath
of hardware.

So, please do submit it to be merged into the SIMH framework, it
sounds like fun! (And sounds like practice for writing a Modbus TCP
master… to me.)

Cheers,
Christian
--