Is anyone making replacement clear labels for DEC gear?

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 03:10:18 CDT 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 12:29:06 -0400, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> There are inkjet printers that support white ink (or pigment). Those are probably professional type machines, so they are likely to cost over $1000. Possibly you can find a service bureau that will do the job. I think I've
> seem them described as machines for making labels (to put onto bottles and boxes etc.). Epson makes them if I remember right, and there are likely to be others.

We have a couple @work to put datecodes, tracability numbers etc. on PCB assemblies, but they're probably more commonly used to print e.g. freshness dates directly onto cans, bottles etc. Ours are made by Markem Imaje in France, they can also do logos, 1D and 2D codes, and I _think_ there are white inks for them as well. They are also intended for integration into some machine or process as they depend on the material moving by and sensing its speed by an encoder. Ink droplets are continuously produced from a single nozzle and electrostatically deflected in 2 axes, either into a gutter inside the print head or out through the aperture and onto the medium. Using such to print onto clear adhesive label stock might be a start, but the resolution is hmmm...limited.

So long,
Arno