Anyone have any info on a Tektronix X221CHT?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 00:24:42 CDT 2016

Hi, All,

I unearthed what appears to be a Tektronix X terminal, marked on the bottom:

MODEL: X221CHT
SERIAL: <serial number>
KEY: <17 digit alphanumeric>

The connectors on the back are:

8-pin DIN marked +5VDC/+12VDC
PS/2 Mouse
PS/2 Keyboard
15-pin VGA
2x DE9-M serial
"RJ45" Ethernet
10Base2 BNC
several empty rectangular openings presumable for expansion mods

Inside is:

Sonic-T DP83934CVUL-25
TI TLC34076-135FN Video
SRAM
LSI LR33020MC-25 "GRAPHX PROC"
Tektronix 160-9461-00
29F010 FLASH EEPROM
2x 72-pin SIMM sockets with on SIMM installed, appears to be 4MB

Chip dates are frequently last 60 days of 1996.  Two minor SOIC parts
have the newest visible date code, 9701.

I do not have the PSU for it and have not tried powering it on.  I can
probably solder some wires to the back of the PCB to feed it +12V and
+5V, but I'm a little surprised to find zero information on the web
searching for variants of the vendor and model number.

Anyone here have any info?  If it is an X terminal, it's probably a
brick without a somewhat sizable tftp area for it to slurp up.

Thanks for any tips, comments or pointers.

-ethan