G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 04:43:35 CDT 2016

On 15 September 2016 at 09:30, Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still find it very strange.

Yes, that was the point of my post!

> So unless there was only a single *nix machine

Virtually every *nix deployment I have ever worked upon, yes, the was
one, single *nix machine in the site/building/company.
Between 2000 and 2005, in most instances, it was an old PC running Smoothwall.

It has always been, in my working life, very very rare.

One AIX box, ever.
One AS/400, ever.
One S/36, ever.
One PDP-11, ever.
I don't think I've ever had a client who had a connect, working Sun
workstation. A handful of servers in 1 job, but I never touched them.

> Back to 2016. In an environment with mixed Unix, Linux and Windows
> computers, the shared documents are simply made available via NFS for
> *nix and Samba for Windows. From the same server(s).

This might surprise you, but in my own home network, I used Samba for
connections from Linux to Linux. It was easier.

> In any case I'm absolutely certain that as far as NFS is concerned
> there couldn't and can't possibly be any difference in usage between
> Europe and the US.

I suspect that there can. That in what I am now told are not SMEs
after all, but "microbusinesses", the bulk of my career, Sun kit was
always just too expensive to be worth it. Windows is utterly, totally
dominant, with these days some Macs and a tiny bit of Linux. Linux is
usually in niche roles, such as firewalls, web proxies, DNS servers or
caches, occasionally as NAS hosts. NFS does not enter into the
equation, at all, ever.

Obviously -- well, it's obvious to me, but I'm spelling it out because
I find that people make assumptions... Obviously, I am not claiming
that my experience is universal or general or applies to anyone else.
Others will have had different experiences.

However, I have had a fairly varied career in IT. I've worked for
VARs, for shops, in repair, in systems design, in sysadmin, in 1st,
2nd & 3rd line support, I've done a smattering of development work
early on, I've worked in training, I've worked for end users, I've
been a consultant, I've been a journalist and an editor and a
technical writer. I've worked for software houses, charities,
government divisions, multinationals, banks, stockbrokers, investment
houses.

I've done a lot of stuff over 28 years in IT.

And I have never seen NFS in use, anywhere, ever.

I guess it figures that the thing I consider massively marginal and
niche is the one that provoked the reaction of surprise and disbelief
that I was actually looking for and trying to cause.

> A bit like not noticing
> that the USB stick runs Linux.. which happens.

Er. Explain? How can a dumb storage device run any OS?

I have various bootable USB sticks around the place, all with Linux
on, but they don't _run_ it. I won't touch the "smart Wifi enabled"
ones.