early networking (was Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...))

Jerry Kemp other at oryx.us
Wed Sep 14 20:30:57 CDT 2016

Banyan Vines - did LOTS of Banyan stuff from the military.  Thousands of end
users.  Great stuff, but Banyan had no more product marketing skills than IBM
did with OS/2.  The Banyan NOS stuff ran on top of a SysV Release III Unix if I
remember correctly.  Its been a while.

ARCnet - saw some of this, not a lot though

ENS StreetTalk - Again from Banyan, IMHO, the first real practical directory
service.  Even as Banyan Vines (proper) servers were dwindling, we ran
StreetTalk on top of Solaris boxes.

OS/2 stuff - did more than my fair share of OS/2 stuff.  For file shares
primarily SMB, but a lot over NFS also.

NFS - really surprised from the OP's comments.  NFS file shares have been the
"bread-N-butter" of files shares for (me) for over 2 decades

GOSIP - Anyone remember this?  I spent 6 months, 8 hours a day learning
intricate details about GOSIP in the mid 1990's.  FWIW, this is/was the only
networking protocol that actually matches up with the OSI 7 layer model.  No,
TCP/IP doesn't come anywhere close.   Read more here if you are really interested:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Open_Systems_Interconnection_Profile>

IBM System 34 & 36 mini's - got my start here.

I guess we ultimately all have unique experiences.

Unix and (Cisco) core routing and switching has kept a roof over my head since
the mid 1990's.

I have a number of unique skills that (so far) have kept me employed thru all
the bad times in the economy, and to provide the leverage to keep employers from
forcing m$ junk on me.

Jerry
m$ free since '93