Terminal ROMs/kbds (was Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...))

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:30:04 CDT 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Kossow" <aek at bitsavers.org>
To: <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

> On 9/13/16 9:25 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
>
>> If you are not opposed to making a custom PCB to stuff with Cherry MX keyswitches, then you  have a lot of freedom.
>
> True enough. I have even bought some switches and non so great Cherry keyboards to harvest keytops.
> About 10 WY-30 keyboards in so-so condition showed up for about $7 ea, so i'll probably just go with
> that, since they seem to be the least desirable (next to WY-50) for the mechanical collectors.
>
> Televideo was pretty consistent with their serial keyboard protocol and voltages, Qume.. not at all.
> I've identified at least 4 different styles of 4-pin connector keyboards using either 12 or 5 volt power.
>
> Then, there is ADDS, Hazeltine, Microterm, DG, Freedom, ...

How about Falco? I've got four or five different models/versions here; do you want me to dump the ROMs? Doesn't seem to be much interest in Falcos but I guess I really should scan the docs one day anyway..

They also used 4-conductor (straight-through) phone-type coiled cords, but with non-contact inductive 'keyswitches' that move a little ferrite core between pads on the PCB; no rotted foam or bad contacts ;-)