Using a modern USB joystick on a vintage computer (Atari compatible)

Chris Osborn fozztexx at fozztexx.com
Sun Sep 11 21:49:19 CDT 2016

On Sep 11, 2016, at 2:28 AM, Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd like the opposite - to use a USB controller with a vintage computer (Atari compatible - for example ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64). Does anyone know of an adapter or a homebrew project?

I've been using a Raspberry Pi, some shift registers connected to GPIO, and my ninepin project to do that. It definitely makes gaming a lot more fun. Recently I've also been messing around with getting analog support working so that I can also connect it up to my Apple II, TRS-80 CoCo, BBC Micro, IBM PC, and have paddle support on the Commodore and Atari too.

The software and schematics are all available on github, and you can read more about it here:

  http://www.insentricity.com/a.cl/264

--
Follow me on twitter: @FozzTexx
Check out my blog: http://insentricity.com