HP-35/45 Simulator for PDP-8

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 10:15:01 CDT 2016

On Sep 7, 2016 6:27 AM, "Eric Smith" <spacewar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe the HP-41C simulator is next...
>
> That will definitely be entertaining.
>
> It will need three PDP-8 fields just for the 41C ROMs (12Kx10), and
> 400 words for the basic 41C RAM (16 "status" registers, 64
> data/program registers, all of 56 bits each).
>
> I think the 41CX might not fit, because it would need six fields for
> the 41CX ROMs, and 2320 words for the RAM (total 464x56). The
> simulator code and OS/8 would have to fit in less than 1.5 fields.

I could imagine OS/8 would come in handy here, as we could swap fields out,
maybe between several fields of ROM instructions, as kind of a cache
approach. There would be a ROM file that's required for use.

Hmm...but the biggest issue I see is the complex display, don't you think?
Maybe if we use a VC8E option...which would be fun to support for the
original simulator, too!

Kyle