vt100 terminfo with padding for an actual vt100?

Fritz Mueller fritzm at fritzm.org
Sun Sep 4 19:10:13 CDT 2016

Hi all —

I’m trying to run a real-deal vt100 on a serial port connected to Linux (Xubunto 16.04).  I’ve got this working *pretty* well, but it looks like the padding values in the default vt100 terminfo entry are not quite correct — when running the vt100 at 9600 I still get occasional garbage characters on the screen, and 19200 is a hopeless mess.

I did figure out that if the terminfo contains “xon”, the non-mandatory padding values in the terminfo are disregarded.  Removing this, then disabling xon/xoff on both the vt100 and the tty device actually produces *better* results — apparently the turnaround on xon/xoff isn’t quite fast enough to keep the terminal from being swamped at higher baud rates, and padding actually works better.  But tracking down the source for the default vt100 entry turned up a comment that admits that the padding values there are a total guess. :-(

So, before I go diving too much further into the terminfo-tweaking-samp, I thought I’d ask if anybody has a good vt100 entry already on hand?  (I’d take one for the VT52 as well!)

	thanks much,
	   —FritzM.