Power Supply capacitor physical size

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Sat Sep 3 17:27:51 CDT 2016

On 09/03/2016 10:07 AM, Adrian Graham wrote:

>>> Interesting point - but in his particular case, he should be OK replacing the
>>> old 16V cap with a similar-sized modern 25V cap?
>>>

>> Similar size - then no problem!  But, some new cap types are
>> VASTLY smaller than the caps from 40 years ago.
> Hence my question, I'll stick with the same size but higher voltage.
>
> Cheers!

You do have to consider where in the circuit the capacitor is. If this
is a switching power supply (as I suspect) then if the cap is after the
switching transformer it MUST be a low ESR, high temp cap - otherwise it
won't last very long. If this is on the primary side and is simply
filtering the input rectified AC then ESR is not as big a problem, but
you need a good physical size if the switching supply puts out a fair
bit of current due to heating effects of low frequency ripple.

So, it all depends.

For general repair I would get the best grade of capacitor - say
Panasonic - with a nice low ESR and away you go.

John :-#)#

                  www.flippers.com