DEC DSSI troubleshooting (RF71)

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 09:15:12 CDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 7:58 AM, Adrian Graham <witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've got my VAX3800 resuscitated after many years in limbo and two of the
> four RF71s in there have gone bad. Has anyone tried swapping the controller
> boards between drives? Is it just a matter of letting the drive
> auto-calibrate or do I need to SET HOST onto the controller and tell it
> it's
> on a different HDA...

Good question, but I think it's the drives not the controller that will
need to settle.  I would check (too late now I know) the boot sequence see
whats happening step by step for clues.

I can tell you that adding in a new drive, initialize with volume name to
match the old volume name is what I would do if I was swapping in a new
drive.