[TUHS] VTServer/etc for V6 Unix

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Oct 25 12:52:21 CDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Is there any interest in all this? If so, I can put together a web page
> with
> the V6-verion VTServer source, along with the modified V6 serial line stuff
> (including a short description of the extended stty/gtty interface), etc.

​Yes please....​

> So I guess my next step, if I don't hear shortly from someone who has
> previously used VTServer to install V6, is to start on actually getting
> a V6 file system created.

​I think there are rk05 images in bit savers, check out uv6swre​

> I'm still vacillating over whether it would be better to go V6-style (and
> just transfer a complete, small existing V6 filesystem),

​The issue is even at 9600 baud, you do need to download 2.4Mbytes which
will take​ a few minutes.  So you would need to create a very small root FS
and then you get into how much is enough.

> or V7-style (and
> get stand-alone 'mkfs', etc running with V6-format file systems). Anyone
> have an opinion?

​Basically it depends how many commands you need.   Clearly, you need to
V6-afy the V7 standalone system and then for each app you need, you have to
both v6-afy and add the #ifdef STANDALONE hacks.   Clearly you need mkfs,
and probably need a one or more other programs in the key of restor, tar,
tp, dd or the like to copy things.
That's going to be a bit a work - although once you have done it, it will
be handy I suspect.

Clem​