Archived viruses, was Re: Reasonable price for a complete SOL-20 system?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 12:09:09 CDT 2016

On 22 October 2016 at 18:54, Terry Stewart <terry at webweavers.co.nz> wrote:
> My copy of AVG detected the stoned virus on an old floppy on my WinXP
> machine a couple of years ago.

:-)

A good 5-6y or more ago I restored an old Mac Classic II a friend gave
me. I got it dual-booting System 6.0.8 and 7.1 and had both of them
online via an Asanté EtherSCSI interface. To do this involved
downloading a lot of ancient Mac software on my B&W G3 under OS X, and
putting it on Zip disk, then putting the Zip media in the Classic II's
SCSI Zip drive.

One of the Systems on the Classic was repurposed from another Mac and
included some ancient Mac antivirus program -- I forget which one,
maybe Disinfectant. I was glad of it, though, as it triggered and
found one of my downloads was infected with an equally ancient Mac
virus.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven
Skype/MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven