VTServer/etc for V6 Unix

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Wed Oct 19 00:18:16 CDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, an early version of VTServer is still at:
> http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Tools/Tapes/Vtserver/
>
> I think some others took it and extended; Fred van Kempen springs to
> mind.
>
> To load V6, you need to build a virtual tape which replicates the
> V6 tape. Hopefully this is easy to do.
>
> However, the problem is that both "boot" and "vtboot.pdp" contain the
> client-side code to talk to the server, and it seems that I didn't
> supply the source code for this.
>
> I'll go home and dig through my old stuff and see what I can find.
>
> Cheers, Warren

My plan too, Warren, but I haven't quite made it 'home' yet.  Writing a
paper for a workshop next month....  :-)  I know I made it work and booted
V6 on my 11/34.  -- Ian

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."