ASR 33 buzzing

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 02:13:08 CDT 2016

" I'm assuming it must be round.. although directly under the fuse is a
little black box connected to it.
I note when I plug it in on Line sometimes there's a single metallic clack
from the PSU area and sometimes it's multiple..lioe someone's operating a
telegraph."

The start/run caps can be tubular, rectangular or 'bathtub' shaped. Again,
this is just generic advice and I can't say which shape(s) were used by TTY
Corp.

As for the one clack vs. telegraph-like clacks, that sounds an awful lot
like a relay or solenoid that sometimes acts OK, and other times, sits
there fluttering as it lacks sufficient current to pull-in or hold the
relay armature. Bad filter caps in a DC supply (to the solenoid coil..) is
classic for this.

Ever seen a one of the cheap, obnoxious 120 AC buzzers they used in old
stoves and so on, as a "done" signal? They're just an AC relay designed
such that the coil cannot hold the armature between cycles - so it just
buzzes like mad to alert you to the status of yr Pizza rolls. =P