Micro Fiche Library.

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 5 00:48:28 CDT 2016

On 04/10/2016 16:53, Dave Wade wrote:
>>>     Jim mentioned that dedicated microfilm scanners are expensive.
>>> He's not kidding.  Used machines tend to start around $5k USD for a
>>> low end, heavily used scanner.  New machines are generally $30k at the
>>> lowest end.  Flatbed photographic film scanners are much cheaper, but
>>> also slower.  However, with some scripting and tools like the
>>> ImageMagick library, you can scan an entire fiche in one pass, then
>>> slice up the image into individual pages accordingly.
>>>

> Rod,
> I have an old(ish) scanner that will scan negatives. Not sure if it will scan you Fiche. How big are they?
> Dave Wade
> Manchester
> UK
>

>>> --Shaun Halstead
>>>      MSI Tech Services, LLC
>> Thank you for your kind reply
>> Reader is:
>>                       MICROFICHE READER MODEL SC01-E
>>                       SERIAL NO. 4573
>>                       MAGNIFICATION 42x
>>                      VISIDYNE INC    BURLINGTON MA USA
>>
>> UK model (yes I'm in the UK)
>>
>>                     230 VOLTS AC 50/60Hz .75 AMPS
>>
>> Only Hi res setting works.
>> Using my home made but clean fiche holder the few fiches I looked at
>> seemed OK.
>> When adjusted for sharp focus the text was clear but a bit small.
>>

>> --
>> PDP-8/e PDP-8/f PDP-8/m PDP-8/i
>> Front Panels ex Stock - Order Now

I have been doing some searching on the web.
There seem to be some Epson (Perfection range) that could scan fiche

Epson Perfection V800 Photo A4 Flatbed Scanner

  * Scans Everything - slides, film, medium format & print
  * Dual Lens System - swaps between 6400dpi (for slides and film) and
    4800dpi (for photos)
  * Removes Imperfections - digital ICE Technologies cleans-up old film
    and photos
  * Dynamic Range - accuratly reproduce tonal range and gradation of the
    original
  * Quick Start - warms-up in less than one second

Suitable for DEC 52x Fiche Scanning ?

Rod