Micro Fiche Library.

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 4 10:28:31 CDT 2016

On 04/10/2016 16:02, Shaun Halstead wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Rod Smallwood <
> rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>>          I have just had a huge DEC Miro Fiche library  given to me.
>>
>> It has the portable (weighs a ton) reader with it.
>>
>> On trying it out.  I found the results were awful.
>> A good clean of the light path and removal of some disintegrating foam
>> improved things no end.
>> That left two issues:
>>
>>       1.    The reader was for x 42 but the fiches are  x52.
>>
>    This is not at all unusual.  I do have a stock of microfilm reader
> lenses, if we can figure out who actually built the reader and which lens
> it takes.  Is there a name or model on the lens or reader (other than DEC)?
>

>>       2.    The plastic fiche holder consisting of two sheets of stiff and
>> clear plastic connected together at one end is scratched to hell.
>>
>    Thin plastic is really unusual here because of the tendency to melt under
> the heat of the lamp.
>

>> I'd like to work to-wards scanning all of the library into a system.
>> Anybody know anything about fiche scanners.
>
>    This is exactly what my company does (and my previous, now defunct,
> employer as well).  I have dedicated microfiche and microfilm scanners.
> The problem I ran into when trying to scan my DEC microfiche collection was
> that the fiche themselves were of very poor quality.  Badly scratched and
> scuffed, and poor quality duplicates.
>
>    Jim mentioned that dedicated microfilm scanners are expensive.  He's not
> kidding.  Used machines tend to start around $5k USD for a low end, heavily
> used scanner.  New machines are generally $30k at the lowest end.  Flatbed
> photographic film scanners are much cheaper, but also slower.  However,
> with some scripting and tools like the ImageMagick library, you can scan an
> entire fiche in one pass, then slice up the image into individual pages
> accordingly.
>
> --Shaun Halstead
>     MSI Tech Services, LLC

Thank you for your kind reply
Reader is:
                     MICROFICHE READER MODEL SC01-E
                     SERIAL NO. 4573
                     MAGNIFICATION 42x
                    VISIDYNE INC    BURLINGTON MA USA

UK model (yes I'm in the UK)

                   230 VOLTS AC 50/60Hz .75 AMPS

Only Hi res setting works.
Using my home made but clean fiche holder the few fiches I looked at
seemed OK.
When adjusted for sharp focus the text was clear but a bit small.

--
PDP-8/e PDP-8/f PDP-8/m PDP-8/i
Front Panels ex Stock - Order Now