Reverse-engineering WD1000, WD1001 hard disk controllers

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 19 18:25:16 CST 2016

Do they have operations based on the address that the 8x300 is executing, like a typical bit slice?

I used a WD1000 based controller on my Olivetti M20. It is actually a controller for a TRS-80 but it was a WD1000 in disguise. The M20 had what looked to be a wd1000 in the schematic I'd found.

I was able to use a ST251 with it but needed to modify the step to be autovstep. The original Olivetti hard drive was a 10 ms and the ST251

doesn't go that fast but is actually faster with the auto stepping.

It was a good thing the M20 software was very modular.

Dwight