Interested in UNIVAC 9000 Series (and IBM 360)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Nov 18 22:17:45 CST 2016

On 11/18/2016 07:59 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Yes, I think it had to, as it had no adder.  Had to be
> incomprehensibly slow.  I guess it would load the memory to an
> internal register a piece at a time.

The last time I dug around a bit for model 20 software, I was surprised
to find that there was not only a FORTRAN, but a PL/I and a COBOL
written for the thing.

By and large, the only applications that I ever saw were RPG.  I can't
begin to imagine how slow a COBOL would be, much less a PL/I.

--Chuck