Fwd: [SIGCIS-Members] Jay Wright Forrester

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Nov 18 15:50:49 CST 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[SIGCIS-Members] Jay Wright Forrester
Date: 	Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:27:40 +0000
From: 	Deborah Douglas <ddouglas at mit.edu>
To: 	Sigcis <members at sigcis.org>

I regret to announce the death of one of MIT’s leading computer pioneers Jay W. Forrester.  Forrester died Wednesday,
November 16 at age 98.  The New York Times has published an obituary; MIT’s is being completed as I write.  There will
many who can offer comments on Forrester’s myriad contributions but here, I would add that he has been a stalwart
supporter of the MIT Museum and a regular participant in many programs.  I am grateful for his enthusiasm for sharing
the details of his knowledge about the Servomechanisms Lab, Whirlwind, SAGE, Lincoln Laboratory, system dynamics and
management.  As more information becomes available, I am happy to share with interested individuals.  Debbie Douglas

*Deborah G. Douglas, PhD* • Director of Collections and Curator of Science and Technology, MIT Museum, Room N51-209
• 265 Massachusetts Avenue • Cambridge, MA 02139-4307 • http://mitmuseum.mit.eduhttp://museum.mit.edu/150ddouglas at mit.edu <mailto:ddouglas at mit.edu> •  617-253-1766 phone  •  617-253-8994 fax