Epson MX-80 Technical Manual?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Nov 10 14:44:26 CST 2016

On 11/10/2016 11:05 AM, Tony Duell wrote:

> Strangest thing I have seen on a Diablo 630 chassis. A Sanders 700.
> That's a 7 pin dot matrix printer with the printhead in place of the
> daisywheel of the 630. Same carriage/paper feed mechanism. It takes
> plug-in ROM cartridges for the fonts, and does 8 passes of the head
> for some of them.

It was a rather incestuous community back then.  One thing that our
printer designers were well aware of and referred to, were the Sanders
patent applications.

A lot later printers used a stepper for horizontal positioning; we used
a rather expensive DC motor with a precision (etched glass) optical
encoder.  We could do NLQ with no more than 3 passes, although the speed
dropped considerably on the denser (downloadable) fonts.  It pretty much
mandated a film ribbon to get any degree of sharpness.

--Chuck